Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I can see clearly now

Well, now that my pupils aren't dilated to the size of saucers and I'm wearing new contacts. Yay for being able to see!

For the past week I've noticed that my vision has been kind of blurry - for things near and far - even with my contacts. I'm 27! I shouldn't have to worry about reading glasses! In any case, yesterday was the last straw. I could hardly see my computer screen and had the worst migraine from squinting all day. I wasn't sure if it was just my allergies or if my prescription had changed. I went ahead and made an appointment with a new eye doctor since I got new vision insurance. At the time the appointment was made, no one mentioned they'd be dilating my eyes since I'm a new patient and that just maybe I should have someone there to drive me home. Thank god I brought my old glasses with me, because I couldn't wear my contacts after the eye exam and subsequent burning eye drops that opened them up so big I'm sure they could see into the deepest recesses of my brain. If I thought the headache I had during the day was bad, the one I got at the eye doctor was that times about a million. So bad it literally made me sick. The bright California sun I usually adore became my worst enemy. Somehow I got myself home safely, although I wouldn't have been surprised if I ended up at the other end of California with all the signs I could read.

Learn from my mistake: If you go in for an eye exam, ALWAYS ask if they'll be dilating your pupils. And if they are going to, make sure you have a ride home. I'm so pissed I had to drive like that. Not only was it painful and I felt like puking the entire way home, but it was dangerous too. There is your PSA for the day. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never had an eye exam when they didn't dilate my pupils. You don't need someone to drive you home, you just need to wear sunglasses, and every opthamologist I've ever been to has disposable sunglasses thingies to place behind regular glasses for those who don't know this fact.

Meghan said...

Thanks for your input, whoever you are! However, I will say different people react to pupil dilation in different ways. For me, it wasn't just the sun, it was the fact that my pupils were so big, my eyes refused to focus making it next to impossible to read the street signs.

I did get those sunglass insert things, but they were pretty ineffective because they were too wide for my frames, so they kept popping up, leaving one eye unguarded. It was really quite comical in hindsight... :)